ÖKOBAUDAT usually sources its data from EPD programme operators. The listed programme operators meet the ÖKOBAUDAT quality requirements. The programme operator is responsible for the EPD generation and verification and then transfers the data to the ÖKOBAUDAT.
Most data sets in ÖKOBAUDAT come from EPD which were generated in the framework of an EPD programme (category A). In addition, the ÖKOBAUDAT also contains LCA data subjected to a third party verification that was not generated in an EPD programme (category B) and generic LCA data (category C).
The acceptance of datasets of category B requires approval of the Users Advisory Group of ÖKOBAUDAT. The conditions for the acceptance of these datasets are stipulated according to the case of need. The representative LCA data for wood and wood-based materials of the Thünen Institute correspond to this category.
The generic data are commissioned by the BBSR and have so far been delivered exclusively by Sphera (formerly thinkstep).
Requirements for data delivery
ÖKOBAUDAT provides building life-cycle analysis data that comply with standard DIN EN 15804. Such analyses, among others, are carried out within the Assessment System for Sustainable Building (Bewertungssystem Nachhaltiges Bauen BNB). The principles for acceptance of LCA data in ÖKOBAUDAT in the current version must be considered to ensure high data quality and high consistency.
Therefore, a programme operator must apply for acceptance of data and submit all necessary documents before being released for the delivery of data to the ÖKOBAUDAT. In this application, the programme operator confirms that the EPD programme and all data intended to be imported in ÖKOBAUDAT meet the ÖKOBAUDAT requirements.
Procedure of acceptance of programme operators and datasets
1. The applicant declares that the submission complies with the principles for acceptance of LCA data in ÖKOBAUDAT in the application form.
2. The applicant provides the required declarations and supporting documents.
3. The documents and data are checked under the responsibility of the BMWSB/BBSR, in coordination with the ÖKOBAUDAT Users’ Advisory Group where appropriate.
- Data of Category A: EPD datasets corresponding to the ÖKOBAUDAT principles can subsequently be accepted in to ÖKOBAUDAT without any further fundamental checks of the contents.
- Data of Category B: Since no programme and no set of rules are available in accordance with DIN EN ISO 14025, proof of external verification or a critical review must be provided for each dataset.
4. If the check of the contents for the acceptance of life cycle assessment data has been successfully completed, corresponding access data for importing the data can be requested from the BBSR.
Procedure for importing datasets into ÖKOBAUDAT
Once the programme operator and the datasets to be delivered have been accepted, the data can be delivered to ÖKOBAUDAT. The datasets must be delivered in ILCD + EPD data format, with all required fields being filled out. The ÖKOBAUDAT Manual (available only in German) contains technical and formal information on the ÖKOBAUDAT database. The required building physics data for construction products in the data transfer of EPD / LCA data to ÖKOBAUDAT are summarized in the "ÖKOBAUDAT instructions for material information".
- The data provider generates the dataset in a software supported by the ÖKOBAUDAT interface. Presently, the EPD Editor (based on the openLCA plug-ins) supports data exchange via this interface.
- To ensure that the datasets are displayed correctly in the ÖKOBAUDAT browser, the applicant classifies the life cycle assessment data in to the corresponding product categories.
- Before delivery, the datasets must be checked using the Validation Tool. If the data is delivered via the EPD Editor, the validation can also be carried out directly in the editor.
- After this, the data is imported in to the backend of ÖKOBAUDAT by the applicant. If you wish to import data directly from your application or software tool into ÖKOBAUDAT, please contact BBSR to obtain the required access data.
- After importing the data, the BMWSB/BBSR carries out a plausibility check and, if necessary, checks the contents of the datasets randomly. Only after this is the data approved.
A new ÖKOBAUDAT release takes place approx. once a year with the update of the generic datasets. Accepted EPD programme operators can continuously transfer records. To mark these minor additions or corrections, the current date is added. A correction list makes it clear at any time in which version which changes were made.